Re: FW: V4GR Roadster Considering V1 Rocket Power ?

To: Wester S Potter <wspotter@jps.net>,
Subject: Re: FW: V4GR Roadster Considering V1 Rocket Power ?
From: "Lawrence E. & Cathy R. Mayfield" <lemay@hiwaay.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 18:27:41
Heck, thats easy! Titan uses hypergolic propellants, just shut them off and
they quit. Now stopping would be really tricky...turn the motor facing
forward and light it off again until zero velocity is reached. Really
simple (8^))! Thgis is the way we go to the planets and Beyond (spoken like
Carl Sagan...). The tank for this wouldn't have to be to big either, but
those full space suits for fuel transfer would be killers in the heat.
Also, remember Little Rock....

mayf
At 12:01 AM 2/24/00 -0700, Wester S Potter wrote:

>----------
>From: Wester S Potter <wspotter@jps.net>
>To: FastmetalBDF@aol.com
>Subject: Re: V4GR  Roadster  Considering  V1  Rocket  Power  ?
>Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 23:58:52 -0700
>
>There's an inventory discrepancy on Titan Missle motors at Hill AFB twenty
>five miles from here.  Could be some floating around loose that could be
>acquired.  Perhaps you could contact Mayf and figure out how to shut one of
>those down after seven miles.........and stop.
>Wes
>----------
>> From: FastmetalBDF@aol.com
>> To: land-speed@autox.team.net
>> Subject: Fwd: V4GR  Roadster  Considering  V1  Rocket  Power  ?
>> Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 17:32:06 EST
>>

>>--part1_db.18a70e0.25e5b9e6_boundary
>>

>>--part1_db.18a70e0.25e5b9e6_boundary

>>From: FastmetalBDF@aol.com
>>Full-name: FastmetalBDF
>>Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 17:27:40 EST
>>Subject: V4GR  Roadster  Considering  V1  Rocket  Power  ?
>>To: V4GR@aol.com, saltrat@pro-blend.com, land-speed@autox.com
>>
>>       Hi  Rich,   You could be right ;  there might have been reed valves
>in
>>those
>>nasty  V1  forerunners to the much larger  V2  rockets ,  but  I  recall
>>seeing
>>cutaway drawings which showed a " door " of  vanes ,  looking very much
>like
>>venetian blinds ,  and opening and closing in the same manner ,  mounted a
>>short
>>distance in from the air intake ,  and it was stated that their purpose was
>>control the air flow by rapidly fluttering open and closed in time with the
>
>>combustion
>>sequence  .    Just my take on how the incoming air was handled  --------
>>they
>>seemed to make a lot of power with cheap fuel and very few parts  !
>>      Hope you aren' t considering mounting one on your roadster  !    It
>>looks great
>>the way it is  --------- and where do you find spare parts for those
>>stovepipes  ???
>>      Get hot on that  32  plym  motor  -----
>>Have  fun ,   Bruce  .
>>      B T W  ------  I' ll be right across the  Bay  from you next month ,
>
>>and will
>>probably visit  Al  Leist' s  shop again  (  Darrell and were there last
>year
>> ) .
>>
>>--part1_db.18a70e0.25e5b9e6_boundary--

L.E. Mayfield
124 Maximillion Drive
Madison, Al. 35758-8171
ph: 1-256-837-1051

http://home.hiwaay.net/~lemayf

lemay@hiwaay.net

Sunbeam Tiger, B9471136
Sunbeam Alpine Bonneville Land Speed Racer,
'66 Hydroplane Drag Boat (390 FE)