Re: On line chat topic

To: "LSR list" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: On line chat topic
From: "ArieB" <ariebras@wxs.nl>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 14:12:25 +0100
Hi all,
I am not an active LSR participant, insofar that I neither have the
technical knowhow nor the time to build my own car. I do admire and respect
the effort, the work and ingenuity that goes into planning, building and
running an LSR car. Whether this is for the FIA "absolute world speed
record" or for a BNI/SCTA/ECTA "National Record" is completely immaterial.

I have a list of the history of the land speed record which splits up around
1963 into two separate lists of speed records (thrust and wheeldriven), and
I have always wondered why in the early years some records were only
recognized by the French (ACF), then only by the Americans (AAA) then only
by.....

All this looked like to me was defending of the "territory" by these
organisations, and it struck me more as being a political/chauvinist matter
than a real difference in method or interpretation. This sort of thing is
probably not as bad today as it used to be, but is "recognition" by these
so-called authorities that important? I cannot find it so, but that is maybe
because as far as racing is concerned I am an outsider.

There is a need for rules and organisations like the FIA, but can we not
treat them more like governements: a necessary evil!
Arie