Re: On line chat topic

To: "LandSpeed Louise" <lanspeed@west.net>,
Subject: Re: On line chat topic
From: Wester S Potter <wspotter@jps.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 07:52:29 -0700
Louise,

Your reply avoids and then also underscores my comments.

First;  Any record is only as good as the acceptance of that record by those
involved in the same sport.  By calling yourself "LandSpeed Louise" you are
injecting yourself into the androgynous group of people who have been active
in operating land-speed racing events for over 100 years.  Recognition of
elapsed time records outside this group is academic to those who actually
participate in the sport.  Accepted practice within the group is the only
yardstick they recognize and respect.
Second;  With the advent of computerized timing, that group has a method of
assuring the accuracy of speeds based on elapsed time between triggering
devices.  Several of my neighbors on  this short street could write the
necessary software program to accurately decipher those elapsed time
impulses into miles per hour or kilometers per hour.  Everyone receiving
this message has the hardware capability of using a similar program to
accurately time an elapsed time event to many decimal points.  The newest
kid on the block can probably time more accurately than anyone else because
of improvements in hardware.  Software being academic at this point.
Third;  If you accept the first two premises, the only thing that remains is
honor and semantics.  If everyone involved in the activity has the honor (or
honour) to abide by and base their claims on the accepted rules, then ANY
accurately timed speed over an accurately measured distance within defined
class rules is a WORLD RECORD and should be accepted as such among all those
involved in the sport.  There being no such thing as an Intergalactic record
that I am aware of.  If Malcolm and his rocket bike crew go a certain
verified speed, following the accepted timing practices, over an accurately
measured distance, they have a WORLD RECORD.  The fact that we, ( I'm
including Glen Barrett and SCTA/BNI without his approval but guessing he
would go along with my premise) as Bonneville Salt Flats Timing
Associations, would probably not want to time the rocket bike for our
established base-line technical, construction and safety consideration
reasons at any of our meets is secondary.  If they were to come to us, or
any one with accurate timing equipment, and ask to be timed at a private
meet where their insurance and safety needs were covered and contractural
financial promises were kept, I don't doubt that such an arrangement could
be made.
Fourth;  What possible additional benefit to the sport today is approval or
overseeing by any International, National or Regional, "Governing Body?"  As
racers, pit crews, promoters, spectators, enthusiasts, the actual people who
know and care about the sport, it is OUR approval that counts.  The World
Records are listed in the 2000 Rulse and Records Book.  WHO ELSE CARES ABOUT
A SPEED RECORD CLAIM WHO MATTERS AND HOW CAN ANYONE DISPUTE THAT IT IS A
"WORLD RECORD" IF NO ONE HAS GONE FASTER WITH A CLASS DEFINED VEHICLE?

Wes

PS ... Anyone want to dispute my claim that the NHRA and AHRA and other USA
drag racing sanctioning associations accurately time more runs in a single
racing weekend than the FIA has in all the years of its existence?
WSP
<Land-speed@autox.team.net>