Re: hard firing 3

To: ardunbill@webtv.net, V4GR@aol.com, land-speed@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: hard firing 3
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 07:29:53 -0800 (PST)
I just remembered another interesting thing.
Some of the early 250CC and 500CC Japanese
motorcycles fired cylinders on opposite strokes
in the U.S. version, but fired them both together
in the Japanese version. Guys who raced flat
track tried to find or duplicate the Japanese
version for torque, and road racers preferred the
export U.S. version for higher RPM HP.

--- ardunbill@webtv.net wrote:
> Hi Rich.  This is an interesting idea, can't
> see why it would increase
> torque and horsepower though.  My speculation
> is it will increase
> vibration and might lead to trouble with the
> crankshaft and bearings.
> If the flywheel is not heavy enough it might
> lead to gearbox trouble
> from the higher peaks of the power pulses.
>
> I recall that with 45 degree twin Harley dirt
> track racing motorcycles
> it was possible to re- arrange firing so that
> one cylinder fired only 45
> degrees after the other rather than 405.  So
> some people did that.  But
> it never became a dominant practice as far as I
> know.
>
> Cheers,  ArdunBill

Do You Yahoo!?