Re: Spoiler/Wing..SPEEEEEEEEEEED

To: Dan Warner <dwarner@electrorent.com>
Subject: Re: Spoiler/Wing..SPEEEEEEEEEEED
From: Don Kerr <dkveuro@pop.flash.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 19:19:26 -0600
Ok.....Here's the deal Sparky, unless you understad the dynamics of
turbocharging it seems that the engine is a candidate for block
ventilation from the inside.The whole reason to turbo like I do is a
strong stock motor
and blow the snot out of it!!!!!! The power from turbo's is low stock
rpm's but HUGE torque increases at 3500
and there abouts.The stock engine in most vehicles suffer failure due to
high rpm tensile load cycling, not sheer power by way of torque. If you
want to wind a motor up you need fancy rods and pistons, that's NOT what
I do. turbo's only put compressible loads on a rod?piston, the mains are
taking the strain and even then they rarely give up. Look, my 1975
1800cc VW bus has a turbo I fitted and it actually cost me a day in
time,$48.00
in cash(for the oil hose to and from the turbo) and the turbo was a gash
one I had around off an Audi 5000.
At hi-way speeds it  runs  no boost but at passing speed it picks up to
15psi and flys by a 70mph big rig or other.I did build the engine some
while ago though with the idea of turboing it, and got the compression
down to 6.25 to 1. and it also now has a Rising Rate fuel pressure
regulator 'cose it would not go over 100 mph with out one.I know what
you are thinking, the temps are very high, well yes, if you keep your
foot in it but how long do you go at full throttle in a turbo motor?
Actually the piston temps are fairly normal if you keep the timing and
fuel right, but I usually add an oil cooler too.My 1982 Kawasaki turbo
ran to the injector/ECU
rev' limit at a tad over 200mph with 18psi,no H2O and only a tiny
intercooler, Now how about 9000rpm on a 1300cc bug motor at Snetterton
UK at 136mph on stock parts most of which where used items!!!!!!!!!
This one was not turbo'd but that wasn't allowed in Formula Vee.Look, if
you want to know more, I have found some good writting on turbo's and
such, so let me know.......So in the second part of your reply about
1972, what class do I fit? .............DK.
       (Scap-Iron Racin')
P.S.      I'm fitting a roll cage anyway, My safety is always #1.