Re: Dyno Questions

To: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>,
Subject: Re: Dyno Questions
From: "Lawrence E. & Cathy R. Mayfield" <lemay@hiwaay.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 23:27:33
Yep there are all kinds of things that factor in. For instance, the temp of
the oil, water temp, oil viscosity, ambient air temp, relative humidity of
air...Calibrating the brake often helps, but the data acquisition system,
computer, transducers, etc. all need to be calibrated to give true numbers.
But run to run delta are indicative of improvements or not.

But all things given, I would a) do fuel air mix, b) ignition timing, c)
cam timing, in that order (IMHO). Do enough runs to assure good repeatable
data without wearing our the motor, gearbox, etc....

I am looking forward to seeing chassis dyno numbers. Keep us all posted.

mayf
At 07:16 AM 4/26/00 -0500, Keith Turk wrote:
>snip

>The question is really what would be the Most effective use of How Many
>Pulls... in other words since we don't have ten motors... what Information
>could we Gain from say 3 Pulls... 5 Pulls .... 7 Pulls and what are the most
>Critical things to learn... Brad and I have been talking about what
>information we would like to have and what we could get out of using the
>Dyno....  When you run the car on a Track the Variables are even Larger so
>the Dyno Makes sense for some of the little questions in life .... like Cam
>Timing and Ignition Timing... or do you bother with that?  or do you Just
>come up with the notes from Guys who have done this a Million times and
>accept the fact that at 7200 Rpm a Small Block Chevrolet likes 36 degrees of
>Timing Best?

L.E. Mayfield
124 Maximillion Drive
Madison, Al. 35758-8171
ph: 1-256-837-1051

http://home.hiwaay.net/~lemay

lemay@hiwaay.net

Sunbeam Tiger, B9471136
Sunbeam Alpine Bonneville Land Speed Racer,
'66 Hydroplane Drag Boat (390 FE)