Re: Halon

To: "Joe Amo" <jkamo@rapidnet.com>
Subject: Re: Halon
From: "Chris R Harris" <yesford@clear.net.nz>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2000 12:39:07 +1200
Joe,
       very interesting to read your comments, while a little off the LSR
subject, good health is important to everyone. I certainly wasn't aware of
ozone holes in times pre man made releases of CFC's. Your brief remark
concerning the chemicals used to substitute lead in gasoline I know a bunch
about. Talk about bureaucratic BS. Here in NZ in the governments rush to
stay aligned to the 'clean green' image and general International movement,
lead in gas was removed about 5 years ago. The non leaded product now
available is in 2 octane ratings, 91 and premium 96. The premium 96
contains 49% aromatics added to the base fuel. These so called aromatics
are toluene and the like. The resultant combustion of these aromatics gives
an exhaust conservatively 100 times more toxic ( contains carcinogens )
than those from the now replaced old leaded gas. I believe there has never
been a proven case of death due directly to lead in gasoline in the past
anyway.

Chris Harris.  NZ.