Re: Halon

To: <land-speed@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Halon
From: "Hyatt Engineering Ltd." <Hyatt-Engineering-Ltd@fuse.net>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 23:13:07 -0400
Chris and Joe,
The comments really are not so far off of the LSR subject.
Regarding the oxygenated gas:
Is it legal in the "GAS" classes, or does it's oxygen content push it into
the "FUEL" classes with other oxygenated stuff like nitro and the alcohols ?
What is wrong with the oxygenated gas, intuitively it would appear that if
you run it richer than straight gas (to compensate for the missing gas
displaced by the oxygen, and to provide gas to burn the added oxygen) it
would generate a bit more HP (although that was not the intent of the
bureaucrats!)
Regarding the ethanol:
What's wrong with ethanol (other that it has less oxygen than methanol)?  It
has more oxygen than straight gas, and if the motor is re-tuned to leverage
the higher knock rating with more compression and/or advance, and a richer
mixture to leverage the oxygen, it seams that it should produce more power
as well (at least compared to gasoline, in a fuel class ethanol is clearly
less potent than methanol)
Yeah, I know it's corrosive, but you need something to fix in the garage in
the winter!
While we are discussing oxygenated fuels, has anyone found a way to burn
hydrogen peroxide in an internal combustion engine ? It seems to be the fuel
of choice for rockets, and with an oxygen content that humbles nitromethane
it looks like a lot of fun.  It must have terrible knock characteristics or
someone would be doing it.
Greg