Re: Fw: Carb sizing/ ignition timing

To: Bill Bennett <benettw@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Fw: Carb sizing/ ignition timing
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 07:32:49 -0700
Bill,
I don't know what carburetor you have, but I assume it is a Holley. The
Holley power valve is vacuum operated and changing power valves only
results in altering the level of vacuum that opens it, the actual
metering is done by restrictions in the metering block. What timing
settings have you tried? You could do away with the power valve and run
main jets only, but of course this would make it rich in the mid range
when you got it right on the top. Another thought, make sure that you
have adequate fuel supply, there may be something the is restricting
fuel flow which would make it lean out under high demand.

All of this 'great' advice comes from someone who hasn't run carburetors
on a race motor since I had six Stromberg "97" on a 300 cu in Desoto
back in the very early sixties. I do know though that problems like this
often have a simple fix. Back to the Basics!

I am still a believer in throwing out what others do and finding what
works for me. Combinations are the key. Some run leaner with less timing
and others may try more fuel and more timing. Although I have not often
had the opportunity to do it, the dyno is a great place to experiment.

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/CC