Re: Rear steering

To: Ed Van Scoy <edvs@idt.net>
Subject: Re: Rear steering
From: john robinson <john@engr.wisc.edu>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 10:53:11 -0500
Howdy,
          I think the problem that might occur is either too much or too
little input from the fin, too little will do nothing, and too much may tip
the vehicle over...

At 10:39 AM 5/25/00 , you wrote:
>Why stop there? Do like Breedlove & add a fin on the roof that moves with the
>steering input (wheel) and helps to turn the car with air pressure.
>Ed
>

>"Hyatt Engineering Ltd." wrote:
>
> > OK, how about if I steer with both the front and rear wheels, and
> propel the
> > car with neither (middle wheel drive, see the attachment) !
> > The rationale is:
> > Directional stability is maintained by the front and rear wheels if the
> > middle driving wheels are spun or locked up
> > The wheelbase is lengthened without the usual compromise in chassis
> > stiffness associated with the extreme span from front to rear wheels in the
> > conventional arrangement
> > The engine (most of the mass) is far forward, and the center of aerodynamic
> > pressure is rearward so it is self correcting and inherently stable at
> speed
> > The drivers tank is at "zero energy state", with the engine, fuel, battery
> > and other sources of potential energy in the other tank
> > The loading of the steering wheels (relative to the driving wheels) is to a
> > considerable extent adjustable by jacking them without moving the center of
> > gravity
> > I call the steering "telemark" style, in that the curve is carved by front
> > and rear wheels turning in opposite directions, just like you do when
> > downhill skiing on cross country skis (the telemark (sp?) technique)
> > Of course we will never know if it works, if it remains illegal.
> >
> > Greg
> > PS John, I was planning on doing this with the tanks I bought from you last
> > year, which turned out to be from the F-84F (the USAF museum is just down
> > the road from me, the ultimate resource for such info)

              John Robinson, Mechanician
   Mechanical Engineering University of Wisconsin
                 1513 University Ave.
                  Madison, Wi. 53706
                     608-262-3606
                   FAX 608-265-2316