Crank Triggered Ignition?

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Crank Triggered Ignition?
From: "Bill Bennett" <benettw@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 21:12:30 -0400
Having seen Keith's crank triggered ignition setup, I have a pondered
something about it. I have never used one so I don't know the whole
ins and outs of it, just the basics. With the crank now initiating the
spark, the distributor becomes just that a spark distributor with
either the advanced locked out or removed. I would imagine that you
now have to index the cap to the rotor to assure that when the
ignition coil fires the rotor is properly aligned with the cap post.
Mechanical timing is now adjusted by moving the magnetic pickup in
relationship to the crank wheel. Having said that, here is what I am
pondering. When running nitrous you would want about 8 degrees retard
for a 200 Hp system add on top of that about 4 to 8 degrees top end
retard. So now we are talking about throwing a total of 16 degrees of
retard into a system that has no mechanical way of retarding so it
must be done electronically. That 16 degrees of retard is crankshaft
degrees so it would be 8 degrees retarded in the distributor. Now the
question! Wouldn't this 8 degrees retard affect the alignment of the
cap and rotor, and how much would be needed to throw the alignment off
enough to weaken the spark? I know that was 2 questions.

Maybe this whole message is retarded!!!
Bill Bennett
" Life was better when you could adjust the mixture and timing from
the steering wheel"
"Southern Salt Terror"
http://home.earthlink.net/~benettw/