Re: Crank Triggered Ignition?

To: Bill Bennett <benettw@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Crank Triggered Ignition?
From: dahlgren <dahlgren@uconect.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 07:27:17 -0400
You should set the timing for whatever makes the car run best without
the nitrous setup and have the phasing off ever so slightly so that the
rotor phasing is correct with the retard in effect for the nitrous. You
use a retart box that goes between the MSD and the ignition pick up if
you msd does not have a place for a retard CHIP..Oh by the way if you
have the 3 step retard box tape over he chips in the unused stages so
you change only the one you are using. And TEST the BOX the easy way in
the pits right before you run with a switch wired in(sort of ok) or by
activaing the nitrous system with the coils removed from the
solenoids(best). What is the deal with the high gear retard??? That was
a very old drag race thing when they ran a few extra degrees in the
lowwer gears to get a better launch, those days are over. All the retard
will do is either put the timing where it really belongs if you have it
over advanced to start with or just make a bunch of exhaust heat if it
was right in the first place. ou could also buy a simple computer to run
the timing too, LOL and have any curve you want.
Dahlgren
PS. Yes I sell the computers but I suspect most on this list really
don't need one unless they are willing to do a lot of dyno work to find
the optinum timing through the rpm range........