Classes

To: john robinson <john@engr.wisc.edu>, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Classes
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 07:01:18 -0700 (PDT)
I vote with John, I think we have a good class
structure. Leave them alone!  I am a relative
newby, and I did a lot of searching and studying
through the class structure to pick what I wanted
to build and run.  There are almost more
combinations than you could build if you had a
whole bone yard and assembly line at your
disposal.  I also endorse the motorcycle classes
as they are.  I raced motorcycles in other venues
for many years, and I would point out that bikes
are so finely tuned when they come from the
factory that virtually anything other than
changing plugs makes one bike no longer
competitive with another. If we tried to reduce
the number of motorcycle classes, some entire
"families" of motorcycles would suddenly become
obsolete.   For a short time I considered
building and running an LSR bike, and when I
studied those classes, I found that they were set
up in such a way that you could build whatever
kind of bike you wanted and it could be
completitive in it's own class.  We have a good
class structure - no need to change it until new
technology makes our current stuff
non-competitive. (I don't mean new carbon fibre
blocks and pistons either, I mean something like
solar regenerated, pulse laser, sub-particle
accelerated, nuclear turbine - -or something like
that!) My hat is off to the guys who have to
review the rules and be sure they are "right"
from year to year - ya'll are doing a great job!

Dick J