Re: Bonneville Transmissions

To: "The Butters Family" <bbutters@dmi.net>,
Subject: Re: Bonneville Transmissions
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 16:55:04 -0500
Paul Chism's Jag had a Gear vendors overdrive.... I never used it except
the one time on the Street.... NOT GOOD... this thing was out there at the
210mph range before it even needed it....

Don't know how much Power they Rob... but some I am sure... K

----------
<dahlgren@uconect.net>

<bbutters@dmi.net>

Also
> the
> > difference in MPH between the 6-speed and the 4-speed may not have you
> > rushing out to plop down the extra three, four or five grand for one
> either.
> > But if you want the ultimate!
> >
> > John Beckett, LSR #79, E/FCC

By
> > > the way the long course in my mind is only 4 miles long in the first
> > > place because the only way to reach the highest AVERAGE speed over a
> > > mile is to have the entry and exit speeds be as fast as the car will
go.
> > > A good example would be a car that enters the final mile at 250 and
> > > exits at 275.. if I put more gear in the car it will accelerate to a
> > > greater speed at the entrance because you have the is gearing
advantage
> > > for the whole 4 mile previous and will only go slightly slower at the
> > > exit speed..I have been doing this since 1991 at bonneville and it
works
> > > every time.. the downside is 1 it is harder on the engine(more rpm)
to a
> [...]
> > > enough distance to ever recover 3 it is very very hard on the
bearings
> > > to lug the engine down to a very low rpm and apply full load. it is
also
> > > very hard on the pistons for several reasons the most being if you
have
> > > a carb the main jets have no picked up yet and the engine will be
very
> > > lean and the high egts will hurt the engine (burned piston)..If you
have
> > > mechanical injection the engine will surely be fat and take a while
> > > clear out if it does not wash the rings out..If you have EFI and it
is
> > > tuned right the air fuel ratio will be good but now you are making
even
> > > more power on the slow turning crank and beating the bearings to
death..
> > > I really hate to blow my own horn.. but i have been racing
> > > professionally since around 1975 24 hrs daytona Nascar winston cup
> > > nascar Modified Bush cars..Drag races.. fastest car shootouts..won
> > > zillions of races / championships / manufacturer titles / pole
> > > positions..etc To be real candid if you went to every event held at
> > > bonneville and set a record at every one i suspect you have still not
> > > won enough....I am semi retired now as the pressure of all that every
> > > day was too much for me but did learn so many tough lessons that they
> > > are not forgotten.. I still consult, manufacture some parts that
always
> > > seem to end up on winning cars and travel around doing tune up work
and
> > > new product design for other companies. Do yourself a favor just for
> > > laughs. Try it my way and see if you car is faster...what is to hurt
by
> > > running a different gear ratio for one pass or running the engine up
in
> > > rpm and keeping it in the power peak for a full pass???? If it is so
> > > fragile that it can't stand the rpm then fix it...
> > > At what RPM does your car make peak power?? peak torque??? In all my
> > > years i have never seen a car that did not go faster with more torque
at
> > > the rear wheels, though i have seen many cars with suspension that
was
> > > incapable of transmitting the power(fixable) and have seen drivers
that
> > > would not drive and apply the torque sensibly(replaceable) and have
seen
> > > tires that would not hook up(selected wrong) and have seen cars that
> > > were hopelessly constructed wrong(disposable).
> > >
> > > If you know the HP and torque #'s for your engine and the appropriate
> > > rpm,very valuable info, and your car is still accelerating beyond the
> > > last measured mile I am willing to bet you that if you work on the
> > > gearing and shift points the car will go faster than it does now.
will