Re: Speedweek

To: jkamo@rapidnet.com
Subject: Re: Speedweek
From: FastmetalBDF@aol.com
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 00:40:57 EDT
         Hi   Joe,  Thanks for sharing your experience ........ too bad it
was of the
" not very friendly " sort !    While  I have seen Bret Kepner reporting drag
racing
events many times on TV ,  I have never met him, nor heard a word about him
until today, when Vickie, the webmaster at Hotrodder.Com, was nice enough to
share her story of the Cordova Dragway meet, and her conversation at dinner
with Mr. Kepner, with me via that email .   I have no comment one way or the
other on this person .   At the risk of seeming too idealistic,  I will
merely say
it would really be a positive experience if all of us who share this interest
in, and
love for, land speed racing, in all its' aspects ....... could get along more
or less
like one big happy family .   We all should try to show the same respect to a
first time lsr spectator as we would to one of the " big name " racers
to a low buck person, as well as those with the very deep pockets ........ and
to the youngster getting started in his or her first racing venture, as well
as
the hardcore salt and lakes veterans with lots of very fast miles under their
heavy feet .   So much of our human experience could be improved if we just
practiced respect for the other guy ....... I doubt if we would have to
discuss ways
to protect our trailers, tools, and racecars IF most people would show
respect for
the property of others ....... but I am also very aware we live in the REAL
world,
which is FAR from perfect .   I have been in and around the world of auto
racing
for about fifty three years now, and have witnessed some of the meanest of
human conduct, as well as some very great instances of cooperation and
camaraderie among racers that demonstrate, by their actions, that
" We're all in this together . "    Some might think that I am preaching
here, or
being corny or idealistic ....... but I like to think there is some truth to
what               I' ve said, and I do know I have met  MANY  fine and
clever people in all the forms
of racing I have been around .   I hope I shall meet many more in the days or
years ahead !
                           Bruce Ferguson