ECTA Points Race

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: ECTA Points Race
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 00:39:49 -0500
Had an interesting deal this weekend in the Ole points race... and I am sure
there are many answers to the situation...

Heres the Scoop.... Scottie Guthrie and I have been Kinda Head to Head all
Year... and Scottie has a Bazzillion Records he can Run on with 3 different
Motorcycle entries...   Not that Scottie would sand bag or anything... but
The Man invented the System... and works it like a Fine tuned instrument....
This of course leaves a Guy like me to work the system back.... So I sand
bagged a Record at a VERY slow Speed ( okay 5mph might have been a BIT TO
LOW.... but it's his Game)

anyway one of our Fellow competitors decided that he really didn't like the
running up in Class system that we have out here... and decided my Sand
bagging wouldn't stand.... in other words he decided to run his Motor Home
on a AA/F/CC coupe record.... Yep you read that right... his MOTOR
HOME....( personally I wanted to protest the Engine size or Cushion
Placement...) anyway... I simply went out and did it again in a Different
Class...

It's hard for some folks to understand how or why our system is as it is...
but Here is Keith's Personal Take on the Points deal....  the ECTA is A
newer organization and in the begining just to put records on the Books we
allowed folks to run in any class above theirs to set a record... and
allowed Multipul Classes at a given event... Guys like Scottie Guthrie Paid
Lots and Lots of Money in entry fees which Absolutely kept the Gates open...
and For this I am Personally Grateful... ( not enough to hand him the Points
race mind you...)

anyway Maybe it's time we Grew out of our old system and started looking at
a New System based on a Run in Class against a Minimum System....  Until
then I am going to Play the game to the Best of My Ability and I am damn
sure not going to hide the fact that I am doing it....

Keith Turk ( So Al Special.... and Current Points Leader I think.... ( you
sort out which Class Scott Ran in this weekend on his 40 Plus Passes)