My WOS adventure Part 1.

To: "LandSpeed" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: My WOS adventure Part 1.
From: "John Beckett" <landspeedracer@email.msn.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 09:45:48 -0400
List

What a wild ride (part 1). Out first WOS event was great. The people at
USFRA are a great bunch. Great Salt too and interesting weather.

Well to start thing off Joe, Lionel, Airtight and I picked up the Chevette
in Heber City, UT on Sunday where Bud McManus was keeping it all safe and
sound. We then changed the blown engine from Speedweek. The "E" was not
rebuildable so we brought the "D" from GA. instead. Thanks again to Bud we
got everything put together and running in fine form buy the end of the day.

We were on the Salt by Monday set our pits up, visited with old friends,
made a few new ones, visited the timing tower and even put out a few cone
with Woes.

OK, Wednesday we rolled the Chevette off the trailer and Joe made and
incredible 231 MPH pass 233 MPH out the back door on our 226 MPH
record...Hmmm this is only his third pass in the car..fearless. Now this is
the interesting part of the story. During the shut down, at about the six
mile, the brake rotor broke, chucked a piece 90 deg., and cut the opposite
tire..bam. (We didn't know what caused the tire to blow at the time). Well
the tire tore up the out side fender the inside fender and quarter window.

Got get to impound...no time to stare...get to work. Back to the pits from
the six...get a trailer tire...back to the car...bolt on and head to the
pits...BAM. The other Mickey blows..what the? Well the rest of the brake
rotor parts company from the hat and cuts the tire...back to the
pits...borrow another trailer tire...back to the six pick up the car again
and head to impound.

Now what? We have to make a return run. OK, Joe and Lionel head off to find
some tires...not an easy task...Airtight and I begin to disassemble the
Chevette for repairs. Now tell me that Land Speed Racers aren't the best
people in racing. Joe had four owners who offered the tires right off there
cars in order to make a return run. OK, we've got a fall back plan, but lets
see if we can find some tires to buy so we can race the rest of the meet
too.
John MacKichan came up with one and the McDonald and Pits team came up with
another. Now they have to run into Wendover and get them mounted. In the
mean time I'm beating and banging with a ball peen and 2 x 4 to straighten
things out...Airtight is getting real good with the 200 MPH tape. Feeling
like this is a NASCAR pit thrash to get the car out before we loose a lap.
What a day, but we made it, never had a chance to even look at the
engine...hope it's OK.

Next morning we all pull out of impound and line up. Joe is ready...sure
hope
the Chevette is. It's our turn and Joe rips off a 225 MPH...this thing
always goes slower in the cold...figure that one out...air density is not
all about engine HP. Anyway its enough for a 228.697 MPH record average in
D/GCC.

Part 2 to to follow.

John Beckett, LSR #79