Re: Racing in LSR

To: "Wester S Potter" <wspotter@jps.net>, "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>,
Subject: Re: Racing in LSR
From: "Rick Byrnes" <rick@rbmotorsports.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 13:19:28 -0400
Greetings
I have been lurking on this list for a while now and find it a very
comfortable place to be.  Contributions from witty to technical are to my
liking.
Many of you know me from previous years on the salt as well as ECTA, so my
introduction is short a sweet.
Rick Byrnes:  Dearborn Michigan
Retired Ford engineer/technician.  My specialty was engine sealing.  (Gasket
and seal design engineer)
I am my own engine builder and have done the design and fabrication of many
components on my Merkur XR4ti.
I have recently discovered that I am a true builder more than racer.  After
getting into the two club in 98, I put my son Jim in the drivers seat and
finally got him in the record books this year in F Fuel Altered. (on gas)
(Sat morning at WOS)  We then got greedy and went out for one final pass and
pitched the oil pump belt in the 3.  Jim caught it as my warning light came
on at 30 psig.  It runs but gets tight.  time for a rebuild.  I need it to
be a cheap year for 2001.  This little 4 banger was a no excuse motor with
some pretty good, (expensive) parts.  They did work well, and I am looking
forward to going considerably faster with this combination and
classification.
I am now searching for my future in LSR.  After running this car for 10
years and setting 7 or 8 records, I am ready to move on.  The problem with
that is having just retired, and my wife Glenys just retired from United Air
Lines, we have cut our income dramatically.  I'm thinking that if I continue
with LSR as a car owner/driver I want to go faster.  We measured hp of my
old turbo motor at 600 at rear wheels.  I wonder how fast that would be in a
back motor digger type lakester???????
So, now you people know all about me.  I don't write much lately, but  will
contribute when I can.  In the meantime I will continue to enjoy the
writings of y'all.
Next year we will probably run Gas Altered, and move to fuel altered using
methanol after making another record, that is.  The cylinder head I am using
is Esslingers latest midget part designed to be run on methanol.  I wonder
how much "pop" it will tolerate?

Rick Byrnes
We have enough youth...........How about a fountain of smart
www.rbmotorsports.com