cooling

To: "Land Speed List" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: cooling
From: "John Beckett" <landspeedracer@email.msn.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 09:14:06 -0400
OK, thought I would give Keith a break and start a new thread.

My big question is how important is the cooling system to HP? and longevity?

Have had several problems with melted pistons over the years. And I thought
they were due to none cooling related problems (probably were). But now I
wonder if the cooling system was of a better design whether the pistons
would have ultimately melted (or at least melted as quickly).

So (on a SB Chevy) how much water flow (gpm) is required for proper cooling?
Can you have to much flow?

What's the preferred pump: belt driven or electric? How much HP does a belt
driven pump use vs. an alternator to drive all the electrical accessories.

Should you run a thermostat? and at what temp? or just a restrictor?

Is it better to design a LSR cooling system based on Drag Racing or NASCAR?

What's up with reverse flow systems? don't see many in grass roots racing.

John Beckett