Re: Cooling

To: dahlgren@uconect.net (dahlgren), land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cooling
From: ardunbill@webtv.net
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2000 10:24:00 -0400 (EDT)
Sure, no question that a pressure system is a better basic principle
both from better ability to take the heat out of the metal, and a higher
boiling point in an overheating situation.

A pressure system makes the cooling tank setup somewhat more
complicated, have to use a tank that can stand the pressure.

Good point that adequate venting is important for a vented tank, Elmo
Gillette pointed out to me that if boiling does occur, with a small
vent, the pressure can't get out fast enough and the tank will get
distorted.  I suppose if the pressure buildup was too severe it could
rupture the tank.

I have my tank in the trunk with a bulkhead between it and the driver's
compartment, so even if it did  rupture, the water would be on the floor
and unlikely to reach the driver in his seat in the cage.

Back to Bonneville practice, I understand there are a few pressure tank
systems in use, and a lot of vented ones.  Could someone who actually
knows, comment?  Cheers,  ArdunBill