Re: Cooling

To: The Butters Family <bbutters@dmi.net>
Subject: Re: Cooling
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 07:58:50 -0700
My two cents worth..The cooling between rounds is likely to get the
intake cool for a more dense mixture, but, of course, we are all guilty
of doing things just because we have the idea that it is the right thing
to do.
When I was in high school, we purchased our first tractor. It had a 190
degree thermostat. In those days everyone believed in 160 degree stats
for summer and 180 degree stats for winter. Even today many people will
put in a lower temp stat if they have overheating problems, thinking
that it will solve their problem. Of course, the only thing the
thermostat does is regulate the low temp. I have seen instances though
where thermostats have been removed to try an cure an overheating
problem only to have the reverse results. You can have too much water
flow if it is not regulated by a thermostat. The water has to remain in
the engine long enough to pick up the heat, and in the radiator long
enough to release it.

Heat is power! There was a great article in Hot Rod Magazine several
years ago that told about Smokey Yunick's heated intake three cylinder
Buick. The intake air was first heated by coolant and then by the
exhaust to bring the temp up to about 230 degrees (I believe). A turbo
was used as a homgenizer/check valve, (not for boost) the power and
mileage that resulted was mind boggling. This was a 180 degrees from the
conventional wisdom in performance circles. You have to think outside
the box!

All cars produced today have 195 degree thermostats and will usually run
about 200 to 210 degrees F. The engine is more efficient, both in power
and exhaust emissions at this temp. Smokey says that when we have the
materials and lubricants to allow "no cooling system" then we will get
the real performance.

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/GCC