THE ULTIMATE SKYRIDE

To: joetimney@dol.net, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: THE ULTIMATE SKYRIDE
From: FastmetalBDF@aol.com
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 12:48:20 EDT
         Hi  Joe,  You sure do get around !!!   I think you are one of this
list's best
roving ambassadors of good will ( and technical knowledge ) for Land Speed
Racing, and old time hotrodding, too .  Have you started on your coupe yet ?
        I am looking forward to seeing it at next year's Hot Rod Rumble ......
I was not able to witness the recent launch of the Space Shuttle, but our
local
TV weatherman has an ongoing interest in Space science and events, and he
told us where and when to watch the sky to view the Shuttle, and he was right
on the money, as he usually is ...... there it was in the southeastern sky,
very brilliant
and traveling very rapidly north and out over the Atlantic ocean ...... easily
recognizable as not being a regular high flying jet !   The speed alone makes
it
stand out ...... the same way a satellite appears when in orbit, obviously
moving at a terrific rate around our planet .
      The automobile has certainly had an amazing evolution since its
beginnings
at the very tail end of the nineteenth century ....... as witnessed by the
creations
at land speed events, as well as oval track and drag racing, and on the
modern highways of the world ...... but aircraft have had an even more
astounding advance
since Wilbur and Orville !   I believe Orville Wright lived long enough to
see jet
aircraft fly, right after World War ll ...... can you imagine his feelings
then ???
       What would those Men of Vision have thought of the Space Shuttle,
intercontinental rockets, earth orbiting satellites, rockets putting men
on the Moon, and landings on Mars !!!    ALL of these, including the very
first
flight, happened within the lifespan of one human being  .......
pretty amazing Century we have been born to, isn' t it  ???
       Thanks, Joe, for filling us in on your experience ......
            Let us know how your four wheeled projects are progressing ......
   Bruce  ...... up at the Shuttle equivalent of the two mile marker  .......