MEK

To: Joe Timney <joetimney@dol.net>
Subject: MEK
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 11:09:00 -0700 (PDT)
Yeah, I know about MEK.  I discovered it in the
Air Force where we used it for flushing fuel
tanks.  I remember the training classes well.
The thing about MEK is that you have a very low
toxic level that the body will accept, and each
time you expose yourself to it, it is permanent
and compounding - like radiation.  It doesn't
leave your system.  I've only used it twice but I
used a complete (borrowed from the Air Force)
suit, mask and all associated safety gear.  What
amazes me, is that they have that stuff on the
counter at Lowes.  I would think twice about
using it again. About the strongest stuff I use
now is Acetone and laquer thinner (not
together!).

Dick J

--- Joe Timney <joetimney@dol.net> wrote:
> Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK) is about as high on
> the carcinogen list as you
> can get smelling that stuff. You don't know
> what you are playing with
> unless you have had a lesion in chemistry. I
> agree with Wes...stay away!
>
> Dick J wrote:
>
> > Jsheesh!  I thought it was just some good old
> > cleaning solvent stuff.  I've used Methyl
> Ethyl
> > Ketone (MEK) for cleaning gas tanks - - now
> > that's some bad mojo! But, once you clean
> with
> > that stuff - - it's clean!
> >
> > Dick J
> >

> > --- Wester S Potter <wspotter@jps.net> wrote:
> > > That's why dry cleaners don't use it any
> more
> > > ... it is really good at
> > > removing grease spots on clothing but not
> legal
> > > in some states for release
> > > into the air.
> > > Wes

> > Yahoo! Messenger - Talk while you surf!  It's
> FREE.
> > http://im.yahoo.com/

=====
*         Dick J          *