Re: Dry Sump / Push Truck

To: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Dry Sump / Push Truck
From: "Rick Byrnes" <rick@rbmotorsports.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 19:44:07 -0500
The thread started by Keith's first questions continue to stir up thoughts
relative to oiling.
My observations.  Nothing based on real "engineering", just my observations
and practices.  Since I have "lost" a complete engine from the head down at
8000 rpm due to inadequate oiling. (no dry sump) I have learned the hard
way.
With my turbo motors, we never ran over 7200 rpm so I used an external belt
driven Aviad pump with an 8 quart pan with baffling and a windage tray.
This was adequate at 7000 but when I went to the N/A motor and found that
8500 was a usable engine speed, we had serious problems and destroyed the
crank, some beautiful Carillio rods and the block which was one of only a
few left in the world.  This was the year of my dry sump and as you know I
still had problems, but Jim (the pilot) saved my motor.
Practices
Heat the oil to 160 deg f.  Never make a pass on oil temp of less!
Heat the water to 190 deg f.  same deal, never run.  I still use a
thermostat.
As many of you have seen, I watch temps with a hand held Fluke, when we are
getting ready.   I really don't want to loose another motor.  My budget just
couldn't take it.  I might have to switch to a v8 so I could get some of
those cheap parts. (cept Ardun)
I watched a guy break a steel rod when he made a pass with a cold motor
during my second year on the salt and ever sense....well you know the deal.
I have run Mobil 1 15 w 50 which is of course a lot heavier than 5 w 30, but
when hot, we don't know what the difference really is on power, and I do not
have dyno time nor hardware to investigate.  One of my good friends is an
engineer at a major race outfit, and indicated that while the Winston cup
guys run very light oil at low pressures, this is for the most part done
with qualifying motors that are expected to last for one pass (10 miles) He
indicated that the difference found with just the lighter weight oil was
within the repeatability of their engine dynamometers.  I have not found the
courage to change from what has been working.  In all my discussions though
I have also learned an interesting point that the hoses of an external oil
pump should be supported on the inside to prevent any collapse from negative
pressures.  Again without data, this makes a lot of sense and my suction
hoses have internal support.
As others have written, I heat oil in the pits from the big generator, and
then in line continue with the small generator attached to the truck.  We
also charge the batteries with this unit.
With EFI, running 4 injector drivers, 1 coil, 2 water pumps for charge air
cooling, a fan for the Parker pumper, 3 fuel pumps,  my on board data has
indicated that even with the alternator (its small) system voltage drops to
11.8 volts.  This was running injectors at about 70% duty cycle.

 My point is that as Dave suggested the electrical load is extremely high
and I will not run without an alternator.  Like the oil thing, I am not
brave enough to try without.

Rick