Re: Specialized engine building equip

To: yesford@clear.net.nz, kturk@ala.net, ddahlgren@snet.net, lsr_man@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: Specialized engine building equip
From: FastmetalBDF@aol.com
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 20:55:52 EST
       Chris,  while I' ve never washed any really big parts in my tub or
sink in
my house ( NOT so sure about my boys when I used to be at work and they
were teenagers ! ), I did wash my first smallblock ..... a freshly bored out
301,
on a piece of plywood on the driveway at my father's house ...... first with
some gas ( NOT a good idea ! ) and later with hot water and Tide laundry
detergent ( unknowingly donated by my Mom ) !  After a lot of wiping and
blowing it all out with air, that baby was clean ..... then a little light
oil on
the bores and bearing saddles and such, wrapped it in plastic, and in the
garage for assembly.  I seem to recall reading about using the soap powder
in a book on building small block Chevs by Don Francisco, where I also
learned about painting the head gaskets with silver paint .  I don' t guess
that forty year old book would ever have been found in your shop or
automotive library since it deals with a GM product ....... right ?  I have an
aquaintance ( hard core Fomoco guy ) who has owned / run / exhibited the
first two ( Jack ) Chrisman Comet funny cars in recent years .  Before he
moved to Tennessee several years ago, on several visits to his shop here
in Connecticut, he enjoyed reminding me that he normally didn' t " allow
Chevies to drive into his yard " !!!   Does this happen down at your ranch
on the other side of the globe ?
          It's summer there now, correct ?
                    It SURE isn' t here !
                Bruce