Re: Maxton Ballast

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Maxton Ballast
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 19:05:32 EST
In a message dated 01/02/2001 12:21:41 PM Pacific Standard Time,
lsr_man@yahoo.com writes:

<< For Bonneville, I'm planning on 20 gallons of
 water in the trunk, 18 gallons of water behind
 the passenger seat, and 200 - 300 lbs of steel
 under the grill pan (front cross members made
 from railroad tracks).  Total: 513 - 613 lbs

Dick,
    I forget which engine you're running in the roadster. Is it the Flatty or
the "E" Dodge Hemi?
    I would try running with no ballast, then add it as needed rather than
starting with extra weight and wondering if you overdid it. I'd be very
surprised if you needed any with the Flatty and mildly surprised if you
needed any with the "E" motor, especially at Maxton, where there is pretty
good traction.
    We get a little high speed aerodynamic help from our aft bellypan
configuration and the MR has the engine about 40% aft in the chassis, but
there is no ballast and no wing. We don't feel the need for either at this
point........Ardun Dpug