Re: Maxton Ballast

To: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Maxton Ballast
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 06:38:40 -0800 (PST)
The roadster is running the "E" Dodge hemi.  The
Camaro is a mild "C" (500 hp).  My questions were
aimed more at the Camaro, as my plan is to run
the roadster with no ballast.  The "plan" for the
Camaro is to run it one more time at Maxton in
May, then off to WOS in the fall.  I will run it
"as is", with no ballast at WOS, just to get to
know the salt, then I will set it up for one more
run at the salt in 2002, which will run on the
500HP motor and about 250HP of nitrous.
Bonneville next year will be my one and only ever
shot at 200mph - a personal goal I would like to
reach before I retire the Camaro and get after
the roadster. Win, lose or draw, I will run the
Camaro only two more seasons.  I am going to run
the roadster just for fun - without the obsessive
pressure of reaching any pre-established goal or
record - other than to see how many successive
years I can run it, and if I can make it go at
least 1MPH faster each year.

Dick J

--- ARDUNDOUG@aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 01/02/2001 12:21:41 PM
> Pacific Standard Time,
> lsr_man@yahoo.com writes:
>
> << For Bonneville, I'm planning on 20 gallons
> of
>  water in the trunk, 18 gallons of water behind
>  the passenger seat, and 200 - 300 lbs of steel
>  under the grill pan (front cross members made
>  from railroad tracks).  Total: 513 - 613 lbs
>   >>
> Dick,
>     I forget which engine you're running in the
> roadster. Is it the Flatty or
> the "E" Dodge Hemi?
>     I would try running with no ballast, then
> add it as needed rather than
> starting with extra weight and wondering if you
> overdid it. I'd be very
> surprised if you needed any with the Flatty and
> mildly surprised if you
> needed any with the "E" motor, especially at
> Maxton, where there is pretty
> good traction.
>     We get a little high speed aerodynamic help
> from our aft bellypan
> configuration and the MR has the engine about
> 40% aft in the chassis, but
> there is no ballast and no wing. We don't feel
> the need for either at this
> point........Ardun Dpug

=====
*         Dick J          *