Re: Books

To: Dale.Clay@mdhelicopters.com, kturk@ala.net, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Books
From: FastmetalBDF@aol.com
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 15:24:07 EST
      Hi  Dale !   If it's the hot rods and drag racing of the fifties you
want to
read about,  I already told you where to send the money : To Arnie Shuman
for his terrific book on New England rod / drag history ..... it is 192 pages
packed with more photos, pound for pound, than any book I own . It
holds special appeal to me as I became car crazy in the midst of this very
scene, and the book covers many personal friends and aquaintances .
     I have some West coast friends who found the book great reading ......
even with their reminders that West was better than East !!!
     I have tried repeatedly to get Arnie to join this list as he is a
GOLD MINE of information on rods, racing, Mercedes Benz cars / history
but I always get the " I'm way too busy " bit, so I' ll give that a rest
      Here is some background on Arnie, who grew up about 30 miles from
me, from the book cover : " was a charter member of the Drag Lynx
of Sharon, Mass., and a member of the New England Hot Rod Council,
and was Sanford, Maine, drag strip's first reporter, and an active racer there
with his brother, Bernie. He got a degree in mechanical engineering from
Tufts University, and, after serving as a Navy pilot, spent five years in
senior editorial positions at CAR CRAFT, HOT ROD, and MOTOR TREND,
in Los Angeles .  In 1972 he joined Mercedes Benz of North America' s
public relations department, eventually becoming it' s director.  Now
semi-retired, he lives in Hillside, New Jersey, with his wife Lois and a
27 T track roadster ."
     I will be collaborating with Arnie on his second book covering the 60s
era, as the bulk of my photos, racing experiences, and recollections
are from that decade . He sells a lot of his books at our New England
reunions and shows, and is a regular fixture who can answer many
questions regarding that whole era .  We regularly trade info from
those days online, and some great stories and humor, to boot !
      Anymore buildup on Arnie and I' ll have to CHARGE him, so
that' s all the PR for my fellow greybeard gearhead !
Bottom Line :  If you dig TRUE Hot Rods and Early day Drags .......
BUY the BOOK !!!   It is titled, " Cool Cars --- Square Roll Bars "
and Arnie can be emailed at :   squarerollbars@yahoo.com
       You' ll enjoy the book, Dale !
             Bruce