World Records

To: LSR List <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: World Records
From: Malcolm Pittwood <MPittwood@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 09:09:27 -0500
Dave and the List,

The FIA, as a Federation of Motor Sport Organisations around the world,
cannot dictate where anyone runs for an International record approved under
their regulations.

Apart from the outright record for the flying start mile (if I may Keith, I
call it the World Record) which can only be set at one desert location up
to 15 miles long (Black Rock), there are many records (particularly those
for duration distances and times) that were set at Bonneville (on the 10
mile flat circle) but have since been broken on race and test tracks -
Talladega, Fort Stockton, Nardo (7 mile circle) - all at lower altitudes.

The point is that for FIA records you have to not only choose the class you
wish to run in but search for and locate the appropriate track.  Bonneville
may not be the most appropriate track to use when you have the whole world
to look at.  But this is OK, as so few on this list are bothered with the
FIA (or FIM).

My ideas for FIA car record sites at the moment:-  If you want to go fast
thrust powered go to the Black Rock, Nevada (if you can afford the fees).
If it is a wheeldriven contender then Lake Gairdner Australia (until Save
the Salt restores Bonneville).  If using stored energy then perhaps a salt
lake in South America (at 20,000 feet above sea level).  If attacking any
duration record - Talladega or Nardo.

As for getting SCTA Car Classes (or ECTA, John) to be close to FIA (or even
UK), I think this is a lost cause as both parties have long standing
regulations and history and neither will move from their entrenched
positions.  Would the SCTA accept my production Volvo 12 hour to 24 hour
records?

I must admit that it would be fun to set an SCTA record here in the UK or
mainland Europe that was faster than the Bonneville speed.  Hmm, thinks,
where can I find a Camaro body, red and white paint and a purple firesuit
... ...??

Malcolm Pittwood, Derby, England.
(Which days are make fun of Keith Days again??)