Re: World Records

To: "Malcolm Pittwood" <MPittwood@compuserve.com>,
Subject: Re: World Records
From: "John Beckett" <landspeedracer@email.msn.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 10:52:26 -0500
    "As for getting SCTA Car Classes (or ECTA, John) to be close to FIA (or
even UK), I think this is a lost cause as both parties have long standing
regulations and history and neither will move from their entrenched
positions.  Would the SCTA accept my production Volvo 12 hour to 24 hour
records?"

    "I must admit that it would be fun to set an SCTA record here in the UK
or mainland Europe that was faster than the Bonneville speed.  Hmm, thinks,
where can I find a Camaro body, red and white paint and a purple firesuit...
...??"

    " Malcolm Pittwood, Derby, England."

    Malcolm

    There may be more room here for compromise than one sees at first
glance. OK the SCAT, USFRA or the ECTA don't have indurance events or
records. So you go to a different sanctioning group if you want one of
those. Or maybe we look for venues that would allow indurance events if
there was sufficient participation. On the other hand I don't see any reason
why your Volvo can't run say in D/FALT along with Keith. I don't believe an
international flavor in vehicle selection is a huge problem.

    Three times at Maxton we have had cars run over the Bonneville record.
So it is possible, and perhaps likely, that other venues around the world
could run faster speeds. Personally if someone in Australia, Germany or
Brazil can build a Comp Coupe to common world class rules, sanctioned by an
accepted organization, and run faster than my Chevette did, than they ought
to have the world record for the class. I still get to keep my Bonneville
record, and I just have to work harder if I want to recapture the world
record in my class.

    I suspect there may be more intransigence from the FIA in accepting new
LSR classes than there would be from the SCTA in accepting world venues. And
would the FIA except SCTA or DLRA timing as legitimate without the current
exorbitant fees?

    John Beckett