Re: Data Acquisition

To: Daniel Wright <daniel.wright@genetics.utah.edu>
Subject: Re: Data Acquisition
From: Dave Dahlgren <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 10:49:13 -0500
Daniel Wright wrote:

> Hi
> I think there has already been some discussion about on board data
> acquisition systems.  I am particulary interested on the application of
> computers toward the nuts and bolts of landspeed racing.  Please share your
> knowledge about:
> What information is best (most useful) to record?

EGT all cylinders
water temp
oil temp
air temp
air box pressure
throttle position
rpm
wheel speed all 4
air fuel ratio
fuel pressure
oil pressure
boost
turbo rpm
pressure drop across intercooler
temperature drop across intercooler
nitrous pressure
suspension travel all 4 corners
acceleration 3 axis(+- 3 g's)
strain gauge on transmission input shaft
rear end temp
fuel temp
baro
steering wheel angle
pitot tubes in various places on the car for aero study

> What commonly recorded information is least useful?
all information is useful including that from other cars to
compare to.
not useful is the push truck drivers pulse, your wife's or
girlfriends anxiety level........

> What sort of sensors and where are they being used?
various I have all sorts of sources and it depends on what
system you have

> What info would you want to log on a 'liner vs a production class car?
all the same

> What do you do with the info when you have it.
as a start...
read "Data Power: Using racecar data aquistion"
author Buddy Fey
Towery Publishing Co.
ISBN 1-88109-601-7

> Which currently avaliable systems would one want to look at for a car
> currently under construction?
depends on the budget...
Racepac
Motec