Re: International Records

To: "Dave Dahlgren" <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Subject: Re: International Records
From: "\"LandSpeed\" Louise Ann Noeth" <lanspeed@west.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 10:45:14 -0800
Dave, list

The idea of national and international records is an interesting one,
but I would like to hear from the some of the current SCTA board
members about this idea. Certainly the SCTA has proven itself capable
of conducting and verifying such a matrix, but the PR and diplomacy
associated with bringing such a move into the arena of world respect
would take many years.

The FIA might welcome the idea of ridding itself of such class
records. It may WANT to only caretake Formula One. Who knows?  Then
again, it might take great exception to such a move and there would
great division for a long time. think about CART and the IRL. Who is
the better group? I think it depends on who you ask. the bottom line,
those two groups operate discordantly,  feeding upon each other in a
parasitic way.

And let's not forget what sets land speed racing above and apart from
all other motorsports. Land speed racing is a magnificent, enduring
testament  to the amateur spirit, will, effort and accomplishment,
regularly shunning outside money and influence. As such, it attracts
many -- racers, crew members, spectators -- all fierce defenders to
preserve the sport's personality. This respect has been earned over
decades, it has begat a tradition unlike any anywhere else on earth.
That is why land speed racing at Bonneville attracts the best
motorsports has to offer, from every discipline and division. They
come to salt, because the salt is the greatest test, the indisputable
litmus test of how to go fast.

In my opinion, Maxton, El Mirage, Muroc, Daytona, Pendine Sands,
Vernuk Pan, Al Jafar, et. al.,  are "warm-ups" for the "final exam."
The FIA, SCTA, ECTA, etc., are mere witnesses to the spectacle that
unfolds. The respect is first  for the place and the people, then the
books that chronicle the achievements. Always in that order.

The idea of "international ones will be just the best speed set on any
course with an SCTA legal car" is flawed unless you can make all the
venues the same length to extract the same effort.

Why is everyone so wrapped up about peak speed? It is only a momentary
point on the tach. An average speed sustained over a given distance
speaks volumes more about the car and crew.

The SCTA already enjoys -- and has earned -- world respect. there is
already in place record keeping that tracks the tops speed at each
venue in each class. I believe an SCTA record is valuable and a solid
indicator of one's speed-making abilities.

Is this discussion rooted more perception rather than accomplishments?

Speedy Regards,

"LandSpeed" Louise Ann Noeth

LandSpeed Productions
Telling stories with words and pictures