Re: 'World Records Topic'

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 'World Records Topic'
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 11:58:50 EST
In a message dated 02/04/2001 11:50:23 PM Pacific Standard Time,
lanspeed@west.net writes:

<<
 No one is trying to build an empire, rather we are trying to upgrade a
 constipated system -- something many of us think is long overdue and
 are willing to volunteer some time to see what might be possible.

######################
    And some of us conversely feel that the system is working just fine the
way it is. As I mentioned in my earlier posting, we have venues from sea
level to 4000+', 1 mile, 1.3 mile, 1.5 mile, 3-5 mile, and whatever the
course length is "down-under". Timing traps vary from 132' to 5280', and the
event surfaces are two different types of alkali, cement, and salt.
    When we discuss the different venues we mentally factor in what the
particular conditions are at each race course. If an umbrella organisation
were to be established over the entire worldwide LSR movement (see above,
pardon the pun) it would still have to differentiate between the various
venues. We would be creating another level of bureaucracy to oversee the
existing sanctioning groups, which, in this competitors view, are doing just
fine.
    It would be interesting to take a poll and see how many of the
competitors are interested in the change, as well as how many of the
supporters of change are fans of LSR who are not directly involved in a
competing race vehicle.....
                                                        ......Ardun Doug King