Re: International/attitudes

To: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>, "Joe Amo" <jkamo@rapidnet.com>
Subject: Re: International/attitudes
From: "\"LandSpeed\" Louise Ann Noeth" <lanspeed@west.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2001 13:59:59 -0800
I believe we have seen enough interest on the list to continue the
debate.  I don't scare easily(dumped off my bike at 65mph riding the
Hollywood freeway on a Friday night qualifies), but loathe to waste my
mine -- as I am sure most of us do. Those who wish to continue in a
constructive way will be welcome, the other I will simply ignore.

However, it is clear we need an outline, or an agenda. I will endeavor
to create same and then present what seems to be the facts,
contentions and postulations. We can go from there to draft a letter
to the appropriate parties asking to open a dialogue -- ACCUS, FIA,
FIM, AMA, SCTA, etc.

For those that have no regard for the above bodies, the discussion is
over and they may call their records what they please, how they and
when they please. For those that wish to matriculate the current
process into one that embraces a wider spectrum of today's current
land speed racing attempts, then I say, "Let's get busy!"

As a side note, it is my opinion that elevating the bar stool category
to anything more than mere exhibition entertainment is detrimental to
the entire sport. The idea of alcohol associated with ANY form of
motorsports is just plain irresponsible, particularly with respect to
our youth -- the very people this sports is utterly dependent upon for
its survival.

Where most lsr racers are mature enough to discern for themselves that
drinking and driving is deadly,  for those to whom we are role models
(whether we like it or not, or know it or not) are influenced by our
actions. If we are casual about this type of message, then we had
better not be the least bit upset when a youth follows our lead.

During my years as an investigative journalist, I spent a great deal
of time on this subject researching it at a plethora of levels and
from a many-faceted perspective. The outcome never changed, people who
drink and drive kill, shatter lives and perpetrate a sorrowful mayhem
that, in some cases, never allows the deeply wounded to heal.

Just so I cam clear on this point, I don't mind the entertainment,
what the USFRA has created is just fine, just for fun -- as long as
that all it EVER amounts to.  Should any sanctioning body even
CONSIDER that such silly speed attempt should EVER be given a
record -- it would be disgraceful.  I have spoken to Kerry McLean
(last year's fastest time) about this very subject and he is in full
agreement, it ought be FUN --  nothing else.

Speedy Regards,

"LandSpeed" Louise Ann Noeth

[This message delayed, as it needed manual intervention by the list
administrator.  mjb.]