RE: Maxton Motorcycle engine class question

To: David.Parks@lfr.com (Parks, David), land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Maxton Motorcycle engine class question
From: ardunbill@webtv.net
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 15:22:22 -0500 (EST)
Hi Folks, re two-stroke/four-stroke performance comparisons, it seems to
be a solid, scientific fact that in the case of today's GP World
Championship motorcycles, two-stroke cylinders of 125cc (around 7-1/2
cubic inches) are producing six horsepower per cubic inch, or a little
more, on gas.  As far as I know, this is totally impossible for unblown
four-stroke cylinders of that size.

This is the basic reason why four-strokes became uncompetitive around
25-30 years ago in that particular form of racing, and probably why ECTA
has the motorcycle records set up as it does now.  I seem to recall that
one particular ECTA record, for what amounts to a 250cc production GP
two-stroke racer with fairing, stands at 151+ at Maxton.  I doubt any
250cc four-stroke motorcycle on gas will ever approach that kind of
performance.

I believe it is fair to say, as John Beckett indicated in his Interview
that appeared in BRN a while back, that though ECTA and SCTA are
separate entities, ECTA is like a child of SCTA. John went out West and
had an intense weekend with Chuck Kalbach to get schooled on exactly how
SCTA "does it", brought it back East, and now we are all benefiting from
it at Maxton.  Probably most of us at Maxton look up to SCTA, as a
parent.  I do.  Cheers from Ardun Bill in the Great Dismal Swamp,
Chesapeake, VA