Re: Experience/seat time

To: "Land Speed List" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Experience/seat time
From: "\"LandSpeed\" Louise Ann Noeth" <lanspeed@west.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 11:18:24 -0800
John is right, there is no better practice than under power. Sitting
it he car in the dark makes good sense to familiarize yourself with
where the controls are located.

Dean Batchelor and Alex Xydias explained that was all well and good,
but once the car started up everything got a bit scrambled due to the
adding of the noise component, concentration wasn't as easy. When you
add the motion component, things get even harder to sort out and the
noises get VERY loud. When the suspension starts working and the body
starts rattling, especially for the first time, you think the damn car
will shake itself apart any second.

This reminded me of the comments that DC# pilots made when they first
flew the big birds and saw how much the wings flexed on take off.

Jeana Yeager, co-pilot of the Voyager, recounted what went through her
head as they took off fully loaded for the circumnavigation jaunt in
1986  . . . "the slender wings had winglets on the very tips, but we
were so heavy that as the fuselage began to lift-off the wings flexed
down and slow but surely ground the winglets right off the tips of the
wings, as if they were held to a bench grinder. since we were still
flying and in control, we simply kept going."

They did, of course, all the way around the world in 9 days, non-stop,
non-refueled.

This is a good example of knowing when not to do anything at all.

Speedy Regards,

"LandSpeed" Louise Ann Noeth

LandSpeed Productions
Telling stories with words and pictures

[This message delayed, as it needed manual intervention by the list
administrator.  Yet another person who has their mailer set to just
automatically include everything in the reply.  mjb.]