Experience/seat time

To: "Land Speed List" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Experience/seat time
From: "John Beckett" <landspeedracer@email.msn.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 08:50:39 -0500
    After reading all these experience comments It occurred to me that seat
time is the critical issue for many of us. Now unlike drag racing where you
can go just about every weekend of the year land speed racers are limited in
the number of events we can attend each year. Keith's recommendation about
sitting in the car and going through the motions is a great way to try and
compensate some want.
    However I would recommend that all drivers/riders put in as much time in
the vehicle under power as possible. Build the car, put a mule motor in,
drive it a bunch, get comfortable with the handling and all the controls.
Than put the race motor in and go fast.
    Maxton has been such a great place for us right coasters to practice and
test our vehicles. Don McMeekin might be a perfect example. He tested and
sorted out his car at Maxton for several years. When he decided to run at
Bonneville he was ready. Basically rolled off the trailer and set two world
records his first time out. It wasn't a fluke, but rather a lot of
preparation and hard work.

    John Beckett
#79, Worlds Fastest Chevette