Re: Experience/seat time

To: "Dick J" <lsr_man@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: Experience/seat time
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 10:43:19 -0600
Dick the reason we were doing that was by committing to memory those
procedures the subconscious mind as Tom Puts it does in fact take over...
you react to the situation " within the limits of your experience"

It's my contention that " Experience" doesn't have to be HANDS On... or
First person.... it's a collection of thoughts and idea's many of which
have to be gained or learned outside of the actual racing environment....
Let me give you an example....

Very Few of us have ever had the opportunity to experience a Fire in a Race
car..... but watching John Force taught me that I don't want anything to do
with it... It taught me to Hold my Breath if possible.... pull the fire
handles ... see that the fire is extinguished ..or severely calmed.. pull
the chute....and get the car to a complete stop before releasing my belts
or bailing out..

It's not a situation I have experienced Personally.... but it's now
included in my total intellectual capacity.... I have an Idea of what it is
I want to do.... after that.... if it does ever occur..... I can react to
that situation as it happens with a Pre Programmed set of guidelines and
fill in the blanks as I go..

I have a experienced several Life threatening situations in helicopters....
most worked out okay.... the Tail Rotor coming off well that was a bad
year... but I was always amazed at how well I reacted and how much
information was available to me at that Exact Moment.... a direct result of
my training and practice....

Keith