Re: Lessman Streamliner

To: "Nafzger" <nafzger@vtc.net>
Subject: Re: Lessman Streamliner
From: john robinson <john@engr.wisc.edu>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 15:53:19 -0500
Howdy, some snips here and there.....
>  Maybe we need to form an organization of old fashioned traditionalist fuddy
>duddy racers like me and Tom who want to build and drive our own stuff
>without all this outside stirring about high technology. One group for
>racers and one group for technocrats.
>  If that doesn't start a riot, then I have lost my touch

well now, here goes,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, if that were the case then the only
guy running out there would be Greene ..... what I mean is just the guy who
is the top speed  guy only......technology has its place, I'm on the
BRIT-IRON email list, and we were discussing technology on the old british
bikes we are riding, my comment was, and is, that the old bikes need to be
ridden, modern technology and materials can keep us on the road, and we
should use it to do so....as opposed to the garage and trailer queens the
(sorry, dirty words here) collectors gather....I have a 1963 348 Chevy
truck engine in the Pig, ( my 1976 chevy push truck) that I plan on adding
port fuel injection and distributorless ignition, and hopefully get it done
this summer, is this sacrilege? I don't think so, I have an antique and
unique mode of transportation on the road.....that runs better than the
original designers thought, and AND this is a point that really makes my
point, >>the original designers would have used this new technology had it
been available to them at the time of designing my engine, 1957-58
.  although it may well be that I am going to be dismayed as much as you
seem to be about the thought of another layer of technology on what should
be a simple task , to go as fast as we can in a vehicle, that ultimately is
the goal, going as fast as we can....Right now, I would estimate 75% of us
are using only 1980's engine technologies....the rest are slowing pushing
the envelope of technology....and that is what this discussion is about....

              John Robinson, Mechanician
   Mechanical Engineering University of Wisconsin
                 1513 University Ave.
                  Madison, Wi. 53706
                     608-262-3606
                   FAX 608-265-2316