Armstrong shocks

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Armstrong shocks
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 03:51:24 -0500
Okay time to break out the British car freak in me.... Every british car I
can think of has Armstrong Shocks on the back.... they are are what is
termed a Lever Arm Shock... Picture a 7" tall 4" wide and 2" think aluminum
box with two pistons inside it.... these pistons are actuated by a 1/2"
shaft that is splined to a  7-8" long arm that sticks out from the side of
the box....   The Shock box is attached to the chassis with Two 3/8ths bolts
and the arm is attached to a link hung from the rear end.....

A change in the rear ends position causes the arm to deflect.... this works
the pistons which are really Valves in the shock body... as Doug said they
are suspended in Fluid and that causes resistence to the movement   A change
in Fluid Viscosity relates to the degree of resistence offered by the
shock.... Pretty simple stuff... and if you remember the Prince of Darkness
was associated with the cars.... we all know they are in a Junk yard near
you..... simple shock for a Straight front axle or rear end  Anybody wanting
to become more familiar with these let me know... I have a buddy whose
business is rebuilding Armstrong shock absorbers.... ( yeah Ed and I semi
Freely admit it )

Keith ( Before this LSR stuff I was a Glutton for punishment on my damn
Healey's.... you can see that stuff in the back round on the records page of
the website.... http://downtown.ala.net/~kturk ) ( Hey Dan... Morning
Buckwheat )