Re: Armstrong shocks

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Armstrong shocks
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 12:13:39 EDT
In a message dated 4/26/2001 1:57:50 AM Pacific Daylight Time, kturk@ala.net
writes:

> Okay time to break out the British car freak in me.... Every british car I

Keith,
       I believe that while all the Morris-Minor passenger cars had the
Armstrong lever-type shocks on all four corners, my 1958 Morris LCV Van and,
I believe, all commercial Morris vehicles, had tube shocks on the rear.
       We recently lowered the car by installing Vega 14" wheels all around,
2" lowering blocks in the rear, and moving the control link arms down
1-spline on the front. This made it look a lot better, kept it upright when
an 18-wheeler hit me and spun me 540deg. on the local freeway, but caused the
front suspension to "bottom-out" on the rubber snubbers occasionally.
Increasing the viscosity of the shock-oil cured the problem.
       BTW, if anybody on the List has a 14", 4X4" bolt pattern Vega,
Sunbird, etc. wheel to sell, I need an extra one to replace one that got bent
in the "spin"....
                                                       Ardun Doug King