Re: Ford OHV 6's

To: glen barrett <speedtimer@charter.net>,
Subject: Re: Ford OHV 6's
From: Wester S Potter <wspotter@jps.net>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 20:05:05 -0700
What was the tiny streamliner that was destroyed in a fire at Speed Week
about fourteen years ago?

I remember now that Bill Burke was talking to Steve and describing the car
that was restored by Travers.  Painted blue and white at Speed Week.  The
car I brought up to Utah had been raced by Bill without Eels' permission.
It was painted gold and had bullet hole decals on it when I got it.  There's
pictures of it on the cover of Sports Cars Illustrated from about 1964.
Bill can't remember the exact number of different cars he has raced at the
flats but it's around 20.

Ak Miller spent a lot of Ford's money in the later sixties trying to get a
Falcon 6 cyl. engine to go faster than the slant six in Wilford Day's
Barracuda.  Never happened,  SCTA ended up splitting the class, retiring
Wilford's record and Ak finally got a record.  Funny thing was Wilford had
done a lot of the work on the slant six in Ak's shop.  The guy is a great
tuner.  Has the slant six in an Aston Martin DB coupe, I think it is a DB6.
Won the Aston Martin Hillclimb at Carson City a few years ago.  All the
Aston buffs were raving about the great sounding Aston engine ... until he
popped the "bonnet."  Some surprised faces.

Wes