Re: Aeroplanes

To: <Want1937hd@aol.com>, <Dale.Clay@mdhelicopters.com>,
Subject: Re: Aeroplanes
From: "Rick Byrnes" <Rick@rbmotorsports.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 15:57:04 -0400
I'll bet they were not the first, but Stagmeyer & Eakers in the late 80's.
did a significant amount of wind tunnel testing.   That was their
discipline.
Very slippery camero, very successful team first time out.....
Very well prepared.....indeed.
I know of at least one liner that has been in a tunnel, but not prior to the
mid 90's.
I think a number of teams have used models 1/5 scale for basic lift/drag,
but for real representative delta effect of specific small changes I think
we need a full size tunnel.  That is not in my future.....
I hear that computational fluids has a pretty good correlation, but have not
really seen evidence yet.  (it is also pretty costly, as you need to
digitize, or surface the entire car.)  Cheaper than windtunnel time though.
(Lockheed @1600 per hour?)

Rick