Re: Harleys

To: Doug Anderson <boogiewoogie12@hotmail.com>, jkamo@rapidnet.com,
Subject: Re: Harleys
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 06:29:38 -0700 (PDT)
I gotta tell ya Doug, even though we be best
friends and I luv my Harley more than most, when
I ride the way long open road the BMW is REALLY
comfort.

That Bimmer is so smooth that there have been
times out on the highway that I thought the motor
was dead and I was coasting down hill and almost
hit the starter when I realized the tach was
showing good RPM.  Yeah, I love my Harley and I
love it for what it is, but I'll dust off the old
BMW if I'm gonna ride more than a coupla hours.

BTW, I got just over 300,000 (three hundred
thousand!) miles on the Bimmer and it ain't even
needed a valve job yet.  Bought it used when I
got back from Vietnam, rode it from Florida up
the east coast over Niagra falls, zig zagged
across the northern US, then up into British
Columbia, all over the Canadian Rockies, and back
to Florida. I hooked a side car on it in the mid
eighties and brought it to cruise Daytona when I
went to race.  My racebike blew up in practice
one year, and rather than not race at all, I
worked all night in the Holiday Inn parking lot
unhooking the side car, drilling and safety
wiring a zillion nuts and bolts, and switching
over as many parts as i could from the race bike.
 I raced the stone stock bimmer that Sunday and
placed higher than I had ever placed before.
After the race, back at the hotel, I put mufflers
back on it and hung the chair back on, and we
cruised the scene downtown with the bike
virtually untouched from the track! Even left the
number plates on. It only had about 200,000 miles
on it then. When I got back home, I offered it a
valve job, but when I pulled the covers and jugs,
the thing still looked new, so I bolted it back
together and have put another 100,000 on it!

And I still love my Harley for what it is!!

Dick J
http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/