Speed Week concerns

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Speed Week concerns
From: john robinson <john@engr.wisc.edu>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 12:27:38 -0500
Howdy,
        I have a couple of concerns about running at Speedweek this year. I ran
a motorcycle, did OK with it (actually set a record but it lasted only one
day), but did have a problem with running on the Salt that other motorcycle
riders also have.
        There is no center line to run on.
        My bike is a vintage racer, and when I drop behind the fairing, I am
not
able to see forward.  As this is the first time I ran a bike at the Salt, I
asked other bikers how they did it, including the guys in Tech. Mostly, the
answer was to have a slightly loose helmet that you shove up on your
forehead, and try to look at the line on the side of the track and follow
it. Some of the other riders remember when they had a center line to run
on, and commented that it felt safer running with it.
        I don't know when the centerline was removed, but for the safety of the
riders, feel that it should be brought back.
        One of the reasons I heard (that the center line was removed) was that
the
environmental (I did have a comment here, but deleted it ) concern was of
putting used oil into the environment at the Salt. I do understand this,
but feel that the safety of the riders would be a higher concern than the
amount of used motor oil poured on the salt. ( I >think< you are still
using used motor oil, please correct me if I am wrong), and if the marker
is a benign coloring agent, what is the reason for not having a center line?
        Another concern I had was the running of generators. I was in an area
that
had a guy running his generator, ( an older B&S engined genset, one of
those with a louder muffler and the usual B&S rattle) about 70% of the day.
It was irritating, and even though several of the surrounding pits asked
for a reduction of run time, the gentleman in question said, in effect, I
can run this if I want to.
         I did not bring my genset to the salt this year, but have in other
years,
and attempt to run it only as little as I can, mostly for charging the
racecar battery, and so do understand his position. Maybe gensets could be
relegated to the perimeter of the pits, at least those that have longer
runtimes? I'll bet I am not the first with this concern, and would also bet
much wrangling has gone on about it.
         Anyway, I thought this years' SpeedWeek went very well, and wish to
thank
everyone involved in its creation. Thanks a lot, drive careful

              John Robinson, Mechanician
   Mechanical Engineering University of Wisconsin
                 1513 University Ave.
                  Madison, Wi. 53706
                     608-262-3606
                   FAX 608-265-2316
        Current World Land Speed Record Holder
                 Bonneville Salt Flats
            H/GCC 92 cu.in. 1980 Dodge Colt
                   131.333 MPH set 1995
                   136.666 MPH set 1996
                   140.292 MPH set 2000
                   144.396 MPH set 2000
        MPS-PG 441 c.c. 1967 BSA Victor 441                     Motorcycle
                    95.193 MPH set 2001