Re: Speed Week concerns

To: "john robinson" <john@engr.wisc.edu>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Speed Week concerns
From: "glen barrett" <speedtimer@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 16:02:51 -0700
OK list, let me try to answer a couple of things. First the oil used to mark
the black lines dissipates when it rains, We over the years have worked on
the problem. I think there is now a dye used and vegetable oil to assure
there is no damage or residue left after the events. There is no sign of
past lines anywhere on the salt. The survey stakes are there from last year.
As far as the center line going away it was when the salt was so bad we had
to move the courses 2 or 3 times during the event.

It was the only way we could protect the surface for everyone to run on. In
the old days with fewer vehicles and a very hard surface everyone could run
right by the line. It's something everyone has to adjust to. However at 470
mph Don stays between them. A rider that wears his helmet loose to provide
visibility better think of his safety and work on the wind screen, bubble or
whatever is in front of him.

 As far as noise from a genset you could have come to a SCTA board member
and it would have been handled. Most racers will cooperate on these issues.
We, the two associations do our very best with all of our volunteer help and
try to provide the racers with the best and safest conditions to run. Any
issue that comes up is addressed at our monthly meetings and we try to
adjust around them. I know the answers are not going to please everyone, but
we try and ask that you all work with us on solving these matters. Have a
idea, write us a letter so we have a document to read and share.
Yours for fast and safe racing
Glen Barrett
Chief Timer