Re: Axles

To: <joetimney@dol.net>, <landspeedracer@msn.com>
Subject: Re: Axles
From: "David Freiburger" <FreiburD@emapUSA.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2001 10:33:14 -0700
Here's my take on the resplining issue: You cannot cut and shorten a tapered
axle because the diameter of the axle at the shortened length won't be enough
to properly accept new splines. Therefore, aftermarket manufacturers of
induction-hardened axles generally stock non-tapered axle blanks in oversize
lengths. When you order the axle, they cut them to length, then cut new
splines. Depending on who you ask, the depth of the spline cut either does or
does not go through the hardened part of the axle. Some companies may re-temper
the axle after splining, but most don't. But know this: OE manufactures do not
cut the splines, they roll them then temper them. The root radius of the rolled
splines has an involute shape that adds strength. Most of the through-hardened
race axles also feature this design.

DF

>>> Joe Timney <joetimney@dol.net> 9/7/01 5:45:38 AM >>>
John,

Lionel's axles were new induction hardened axles. Length does have something to
do with it, being a torsional spring so to speak. The aftermarket axle
manufactures that I deal with, do not warranty 28 spline axles, maybe they know
more than we do!?!

Probably the reason Keith has been so lucky is the small footprint tire he
runs...if he had a set of Nascar tires on the car ... Grib, don't sell Keith any
of those rain tires until he buys one of the full floating rears!!!

as you can tell...28 is not my favorite number!
joe

landspeedracer wrote:

> "With an induction-hardened or surface-hardened axle, there is a brittle
> outer shell with a very soft core. The outer shell is where the strength is.
> However, the hard shell can easily crack when twisted. Once it cracks, it's
> all over. The soft core of the induction-hardened axle has very little
> strength."
>
> This explains why Keiths "stock" axles are still working and other shortened
> (Lionel's & a set of mine) had problems when the hard outer shell was
> machined away.
>
> This issue may have a lot less to do with the 28, 31 or 35 splines and more
> to do with the design and aftermarket (racer) tampering with the stock axle.
>
> John Beckett
> #79, Worlds Fastest Chevette

//