Re: GPS capabilities

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: GPS capabilities
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 01:06:09 EDT
In a message dated 10/8/2001 8:41:59 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
edvs@uswest.net writes:

> I have an older Eagle that I use for 4-wheeling; It has gotten me out of
> more
> than one jam. In fact, I have the End-Of-The-Road stored in it & had to use
> it to
> find my way back from floating mountain one nite about 10:00 pm (the
> Burkland
> incident) It gets REAL dark out there in the rain that later turned to
> snow.....
> Mine also measures mph but doesn't "save" the max speed. I thought about
> putting
> it in my car, but the screen is too small. I found a Marine "speedometer" a
> few
> years ago with a 2 1/2" face. (round, mounts in dash) If somebody was
> serious
> about the GPS thing, that unit is probably still hiding on some web-site sot
> there somewhere.  Thanks for the info.........
> Ed

Ed,
       I have the pits at Bonneville and El Mirage programmed into my GPS.
The "end-of-the-road" lats and longs sounds like a good idea. Bonneville and
El Mirage can get black as the inside of a cow at night.
       Early-on in my LSR career I stayed at El Mirage until after dark one
meet loading the car, eating dinner, etc. Naturally, it was a moonless night.
By the time I left the only other guy there was the infamous Fritz Kott and
his VW camper. I followed him out the southeast end of the lakebed and he got
lost over by the airport on the southwest part of the lake. His VW was pretty
maneuverable(sp), but my 3/4 ton Van and 20' enclosed trailer was prone to
getting "high-centered" on the "dunies" and "pucker brush".
       I finally wandered down the center of the lakebed until I reached the
row of power poles, then followed them until I found one of the lakebed
access paths.
       Getting in and out at the north end of the lakebed near George
Callaway's place is no picnic either. When you're towing a big trailer It's
real easy to get into a spot that you can't get out of without risking
getting stuck........Ardun Doug