Re: Ford Flathead Puzzler- Aero Style

To: kturk@ala.net, ardunbill@webtv.net, clemtebow@jps.net,
Subject: Re: Ford Flathead Puzzler- Aero Style
From: Want1937hd@aol.com
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 21:27:26 EDT
Keith, That is really cool! It never ceases to amaze me how we are all
somehow connected in this hobby. Back in the early 1970's I was at the Tiny
Gould race car auction, Bill Harrah was there and won several Indy Cars. One
was the Schafer 8 Buick two man car, and I saw it at Harrahs the following
August while on vacation. The rear tires were really worn out original Indy
tires, I had a nice pair the same size back home. I asked a fellow on the
other side of the rope if the collection would like them. The fellow
introduced himself as Deal Batchelor, and gave me an hour long behind the
sceans tour of the shops, and parts storage areas. Great guy, and if you
haven't read his book on Bill Harrah and the collection ask for a copy this
Christmas! The Schafer 8 Buick was sold at one of the Harrah auctions and how
holds ALL the pre war records in the Vintage Sports Car Club of America
events. I get to crew on it every time it runs at Lime Rock Park, last
Saturday was the last race of the 2001 season. Somewhere in my piles of old
car paperwork there is a pre 1970 racing newsletter that had a photo and
letter about the Schafer 8 while it was in the South West. The fellow who had
it ran at Bonneville, and rebuilt the engine. Does anyone know who that may
have been? Small world isn't it? Bob in connecticut

<< In case some of you don't know.... Dean Batchelor has written a great book
 on the collection.... ( yeah that would be Steve's dad .... Steve Batchelor
 holds the D/Falt record I have been going after and is Head of the Tech
 committee for the SCTA )

 Keith >>