all you guys and gals

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: all you guys and gals
From: Scott Cowle <scowle@mentorcollege.edu>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 12:24:47 -0500
  As some of you are aware I am a high school teacher. Yesterday, one of my
former students came to talk to me, he is in a combat engineers regiment and
they are going to be shipped to Afghanistan over the coming months as part
of 2000 Canadian ground troops.He will be part of a team whose job it will
be to find and dispose of mines. He said on his last exercise they were
practising clearing mines at night and he missed one and got himself
killed.He looked me in the eye and said he was afraid, as were all the guys
in his unit. I wanted to cry.My point to this rambling is that we normally
race on Sundays, and if you are climbing into your hot rod this Sunday take
a second to remember how many young men and women would give darn near
anything to be in your shoes this day but have a job to do, and remember
those who have done the job before and missed a chance to race or go on a
date or see their child grow up, you get my point. I wrote this because many
of you are ex- miltary as is my brother. I keep thinking about the American,
Canadian and British special forces holed up in Afghanistan right now, cold,
maybe hungry ,but doing a really tough job in very hostile territory . And I
think about who they are missing most and who is missing them more than
anything. War sucks.
Scott